Beach Volleyball Posts Impressive Performances vs. Benedictine-Mesa, Arizona Christian
The South Mountain Community College women's beach volleyball team put together some impressive performances on Saturday, Feb. 26, in matches against Benedictine-Mesa and Arizona Christian. Mckenna Androsky and Kristine Garcia went 2-0 on the day on the No. 1 court, and Nikole Lunsford and Madison Cadden posted a win over the Buccaneers in the No. 2 contest.
The Cougars lost 3-2 to the Buccaneers but nearly pulled off their first win of the season and first-ever against a four-year university.
The duo of Androsky and Garcia posted a three-set victory on the top court against the Bucs' top pair: 22-20, 15-21, 17-15. They won the first and third set after both frames were tied late.
Cadden and Lunsford won on the second court in a commanding showing and posted a 21-9 and 21-12 straight-set victory.
SMCC competed in exhibition matches on the No. 5 and No. 6 court, although it had to forfeit the fifth court in the team score. Clark and Lunsford lost in three sets in the fifth court, and three Cougars competed in the sixth court.
Arizona Christian Recap
The Cougars fell 4-1 to ACU in their second contest of the day, but Androsky and Garcia posted another three-set victory on the match's top court. The tandem won the first set 22-20 and took set three 15-13 to finish 2-0 on the day.
SMCC fell in straight sets in the second, third and fourth matches. SMCC competed in exhibition matches on the No. 5 and No. 6 court, although it had to forfeit the fifth court in the team score.
In straight sets, Garcia and Wilson won their No. 6 match, defeating the Firestorm 21-8 and 21-15.
- Androsky/Garcia (SMCC) win 22-20, 15-21, 17-15
- Lunsford/Cadden (SMCC) win 21-9, 21-12
- Burford/Wilson (SMCC) lose 21-16, 21-7
- Castro/Clark (SMCC) lose 21-11, 21-8
- Clark/Lunsford (SMCC) lose 19-21, 21-13, 15-9 (Exhbition; forfeited for team score)
- Androsky-Cadden/Burford (SMCC) lose 21-18, 17-21, 16-14 (Exhibition)
Arizona Christian Results
- Androsky/Garcia (SMCC) win 22-20, 15-21, 15-13
- Lunsford/Cadden (SMCC) lose 21-19, 21-10
- Burford/Wilson (SMCC) lose 21-14, 18-21, 15-13
- Castro/Clark (SMCC) lose 21-9, 21-13
- Castro/Cadden (SMCC) lose 21-12, 11-21, 15-11 (Exhbition; forfeited for team score)
- Garcia/Wilson (SMCC) win 21-8, 21-15 (Exhibition)